Preparing for work
Once you have been successful at getting employment, it’s a good idea to have a chat to your Haemophilia Treatment Centre before your first day on the job – they may think of things you haven’t. For example…
Date last reviewed: 30 January 2023
- Do you need specialised equipment or work wear?
- If there are first aid officers, what do you want them to do in case of an emergency? Do you want them to call anyone else after calling an ambulance, eg your emergency contacts?
- Have you tailored your prophylaxis or treatment regime to ensure the best cover so you can meet the demands of the job?
- Have you thought about how you will respond if other staff ask you questions about your bleeding disorder?
- How far away from a hospital are you if you need immediate treatment?
- If you work at a desk, you could consider getting an OH&S assessment or advice from your physio on the best methods to prevent injury and while sitting for long periods (especially in joints which you might not be able to straighten/extend limbs)
- Consider settting up medical ID on your smart phone, carrying an ABDR patient card in your wallet or having a photo of your card on your phone.